December 13, 2004

Chess and Checkers

[I was trying to remember what this reminded me of - you're being mean and horrible to my kid! - and then I remembered - Richard Nixon's "Checkers" defence. And you know, the kids, like all kids, love the dog and I just want to say this right now, that regardless of what they say about it, we're gonna keep it.]

Dear Serious Readers

Re: the photo of the chap with the chessboard in your newspaper and magazine ads.

On a chessboard the white square is always on the right-hand corner, not the left-hand one. It's an extremely common error - but also a completely baffling one to anybody who plays the game, as it's so easy to avoid.

It's a bit like having a photo of a football match with rugby posts at either end.

Cheers


ejh

***

ejh

I'm afraid you'll have to get in the queue- you are the 7th person to write on this subject- sorry.

The board was set up by my 5 year old who was really proud of himself, until the complaints started coming in. I've already crushed him by telling him how much he has upset the world, so I won't pass on your note this time- I'm sure you won't mind.

It is gratifying to see that people are looking closely at our adverts at least ! One thing is for sure, Elliot will be properly setting up the chess set that Santa has bought him, next year.

Cheers

Alex

Serious Readers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home